Categorized | 1967

Dr. Norman Rempel

Posted on 20 October 2011 by Mel Friesen

1967, “Norman David Rempel, 65, of Fresno, CA died Saturday, October 15, 2011. He was a college administrator and professor. Memorial: 10:30 a.m. Friday at Mennonite Brethren Biblical Seminary. Arrangements: Clovis Funeral Chapel.” – Fresno Bee
Obituary will be added later. Dr. Rempel taught for 16 years at Grace University. He left Grace in 1988 to accept an administrative position at Fresno Pacific University in California. He joined the Grace Board of Trustees in 2002, resigning in 2004 when he was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis.
The following paragraph is from his blog about life with MS: http://normability.com/norms-life-with-ms-episode-6/
“So, Norm, what are you saying? Are you saying that you are ready to die? Is that what you’re really saying? Let’s make it real, now. OK?”
Yes, I’m ready to go. I’ve always been in the arms of our Savior, but this now feels real. I’ve had a life that was perfect for me. I loved teaching and I loved being an administrator at two Christian universities. And I couldn’t have chosen something more fitting for me. I have been blessed with a great match between desire and choice. And that’s only one aspect. I’m so blessed to have found my Sweetheart of 44 years and have 3 children who we love deeply, and they in turn do the same for us. And our church life and university life have given us such a wonderful set of people to work with. So when I say I am grateful, I have every reason to really, really mean it.

10 Comments For This Post

1. Harold J. Berry Says:

It was a privilege and an honor to have served at Grace College of the Bible with Norm.

Precious in the sight of the LORD Is the death of His saints (Psalm 116:15).

Harold (& Donna) Berry
    <

2. Dave Loewen Says:

WOW! What a shock! We knew he had MS but to read this seems so final! It was great to be a class mate with him at GU. PTL for heaven and Heaven is Real! I just finished reading a book by that title. My God place HIS arms around his fimaly and draw them close to each other and close to HIMSELF.

3. Ted VanderEnde Says:

My memories of Norman date from the days we were room mates at Grace University (then Grace Bible Institute). It is a blessing to know how the Lord remained the center of his life even through the trials of his illness. “Whom have I in heaven but You, o Lord, and there is none besides You I desire on earth.” Psalm 73
    Ted VanderEnde

4. David Foster Says:

Loved Norm’s classes. Intro to Philo, Logic, and Ethics. Favorite memory is riding my motorcycle out to his house with classmate Bob Hayden in summer of ’79 for a tutorship in Ethics or the day that our class with Dr. Wenger switched rooms with Norm’s class. We sat in there for nearly 20 minutes before Norm caught on that something wasn’t right. But best of all was the banter in the snack shop between Harold Berry and Norman and us “off campus” guys. (Sometimes even during chapel, shhhh!) His love of and devotion to critical thinking inspired many of us to boldly live out our Christianity in the marketplace of ideas.

5. Sharen Derksen Spear Says:

Norm was such a great guy! His smile was infectious! It was a blessing to connect with him again and read his blogs. My, he had such a great attitude about his situation. Heaven’s sounding sweeter all the time. I pray that God will bless and comfort Liz (and the family.) Her faithfulness has also been inspirational!

6. Sharon Hershberger Taubert Says:

It’s the day before Thanksgiving and I’m reflecting on my life and what God has done for all of us. What a blessed Savior we have. So much to be thankful for. I wondered into the Grace University Website to brouse through it. Found Alumni News…..scrolled down to find Dr.Norm Rempel’s obit. What a great guy he was! What a great prof too. Sorry to see him leave this earth. What a joy it must be in Heaven to welcome him. What an amazing time for Norm in Heaven this holiday season! Liz and family, may God provide all you need.

7. C.T. Lloyd Spear Says:

Norm and Jerry Regier were the BMOC from our unique little world at 821 Pine – the old home of the Metz Brewery family transformed into a dormitory during the summer before my freshman year. (There were beer bottle caps and other items still in the nooks and crannies, when we moved in.) Ben Kroeker was our “dorm daddy.” What great times! Better still is the ongoing testimony of so many of the guys who lived there. Norm was one of those who set the bar high, and showed us all how to pole vault over the top!

8. Laura de Klein Says:

It is sad to hear that mr. Rempel is not with us anymore. It was such fun to have him as a teacher when I visited Grace during the years 85-89. Not only did he challenge my beliefs, but at the same time he was a source of encouragement. May the Lord stay with all those who loved him and that he may ‘enjoy’ his time with the Lord, whom he served so diligently.

9. Rod Wetzig Says:

My memory of Norm was studying for a test together. He had an acronym for every outline.
    I just found this website, and am sorry I waited so long.
    Norm and I went through so many classes together – he at the top, and me near the bottom.
    He was a man we all knew loved God and was destined to become a great teacher of God’s Good News.

10. Arlie Rauch Says:

I knew Norm since we were in high school (went to different schools together and in different grades) and have only the highest regard for him. At Grace he was instrumental in giving me the opportunity to sing in a quartet, and I will forever be grateful to him for that. Just imagine what he is doing now in the presence of our Savior. More and more of our loved ones are there.